Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hurry Up and Wait

My book was fully edited, we had a cover, a marketing plan of sorts and a target date for publishing. There was not much to do but wait at this point. I had some very rough sketches of ideas about what I wanted to do once the big day arrived--book signings, readings. Naturally, there would be tons of press to contend with.

Indeed, I had much planning to do. But I was unsure of where to even begin. The bookstores? The critics? (It would only be a matter of time until they had a copy of the book in their sweaty little hands, eager to critique it and expound upon its merits, comparing it with Joyce, Proust, Marquez).

At this point, you will be forgiven for thinking me naive, perhaps even bloated with the most conspicuous case of hubris. But I was also ignorant. And happily so ... .

No comments: